Al AhlyAl Ahly Sporting ClubAl Ahly Sporting Club


A Spectacular Night in Cairo

Alahly, CAF Champions League, Football

Al Ahly produced one of the best nights in the club’s African history and managed to achieve a 4-0 victory over Algeria’s ES Setif in the first leg of the CAF Champions League semis.

A first-half goal from Percy Tau and three more goals in the second half secured the victory for the Red Eagles and we are going to Algeria with a four-goal lead.

Our players provided two hours of pulsating football to secure an important win against ES Setif, who were down to 10 men, with Amir Karaoui, their midfielder, being sent off after 35 minutes from the start.

First Half
It was not an electric start for the Red Eagles at Al Ahly Stadium.

In the opening minutes of the game, our attackers did everything possible to break the deadlock.

Taher Mohamed Taher received a beautiful cross and put the ball in the back of the net and celebrated the perfect start with the fans. However, the goal was disallowed after the referee checked the VAR.

We had three clear chances to open the score in the space of three minutes. The first came from Tau who dribbled the defender and sprinted down towards the box, blasting a shot from just inside the 18-yard but his shot missed the target.

One minute later, two impressive shots from Ahmed Abdelkader and Hussein El Shahat hit the left post and went wide.

The Red Eagles took the lead after 30 minutes when a perfect pass from Taher found Tau, who poked home the opening goal of the night.

Five minutes later, ES Setif’s midfielder, Karaoui, received a red card and the Algerian side had to complete the game with 10 players.

Fiesta in the Second Half
The 20,000 thousand fans at Al Ahly stadium experienced incredible 45 minutes as the action kept pounding thick and fast.

Taher needed 9 minutes to double the score with a beautiful header from inside the box, which boosted the confidence of our players on the pitch.

Mosimane used his bench as Mohamed Sherif and Luis Miquissone replaced Taher and El Shahat.

Mohamed Sherif had a quick impact on the game as he run behind the defense to be in the best place to receive a pass from Tau and our striker chipped it over the goalkeeper to make the score 3-0.

One minute before the final whistle, Mohamed Hany sprinted down the right flank and sent a ground cross to Tau who tapped it in to score his second goal in the game and the team’s fourth goal in the game.

We hope to defend our lead in the second leg in Algeria next Saturday and book a place in the competition’s final for the third straight season.

Related News

More News